It is definitely a time to pay attention, be proactive, and take necessary and wise precautions (you can find more at https://www.cdc.gov/) to care for ourselves, our families, friends and those we don’t even know.
This is about being awake, aware. and mindful– not afraid. Very important! Fear suppresses the immune system. We can use this time to practice learning how to create a moving meditation in our daily life by becoming more present in the moment!
Here are some quick & dirty practices to implement and things to keep in mind:
- Keep our hands thoroughly washed and off our face.
- Refrain from shaking hands. Bump elbows or fists, or use a polite bow instead.
- Be mindful of touching public surfaces:
- Use your knuckle to touch light switches, elevator buttons, etc.
- Use a paper towel or a disposal glove to lift gasoline dispensers. Make sure to throw whatever you use away before touching another surface.
- Open public doors with your elbow, fist or hip – do not grasp the handle with your hand, if possible.
- Use a paper towel to touch faucets in public bathrooms and to exit the door of a public bathroom. (What’s the use if you wash your hands but then touch the faucet again to turn it off or open the door to exit?)
- Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, or carry your own. Make sure to wipe your hands, grocery cart/basket handles, and the child seat.
- Stay home– out of public places– especially if not feeling well!
- Keep surfaces at home wiped down and disinfected.
- By all means do not cough or sneeze on someone else–ever!
- To practice physical distancing –not out of fear–but out of respect, with the spirit of “You are important and I care about You.”
- To educate ourselves about taking our health and well being into our own hands.
- To realize that we need to be protective of spreading this virus to others unknowingly, instead of just focusing on the fact that we feel fine.
- This virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days.
- This virus can live on surfaces for several days.
Here are a few of my top suggestions for super helpful Immunity-boosting and antiviral supplements:*
- Raw garlic.
- Zinc/zinc lozenges (Zinc gluconate– about 100mg/day for right now* if you do tablets).
- Glutathione: (take as directed)
- Glutathione is known as the “Master Antioxidant.” It decreases as we age and it’s super awesome for our immune system (as well as liver detox, etc). I take it every day after my sauna.
- Full disclosure– I’m an affiliate for this company– but that’s because I did the research and it’s the best product on the market!
- Vit D: (20,000 I.U. for next 30 days and then 5,000 I.U. moving forward).
- Almost everyone is deficient– ask your healthcare professional about what you need for a regular daily dose.
- Vit C complex (for right now, as much as you can take before diarrhea).
- A– Palmitate (125,000 IU daily at the very first sign of not feeling well– but only for FIVE days)
- Toxic to liver for long periods of time at high doses, but an AWESOME antiviral for short term use.
Some general healthy-immune system practices & tips:
- If you can, get outdoors for 20-30 minutes/day to absorb direct and/or indirect sunlight. The best times are before 9:00 a.m. and after 3:00 p.m. in the winter, or after 6:00 p.m. in the summer.
- Try to practice allowing the full-spectrum sunlight to enter your eyes by not wearing sunglasses during this time (don’t look into the sun, of course). The sun is the most powerful immune system builder!
- If you can, put yourself in or near oxygen-rich environments such as oceans, forests, running streams, or greenhouses—and breathe deeply!
- Drink plenty of filtered water.
- Go barefoot!
- Also known as “earthing,” barefoot connection with the Earth helps keeps us healthy and well, on every level.
- Eat lots of antioxidant-rich organic fruits and veggies.
- Drink freshly juiced organic green juice. (try not to avoid fruit– too much sugar suppresses the immune system).
- Wheatgrass juice is THE best!
- Avoid microwaved and fried foods– they also suppress the immune system!
- Get moderate exercise and plenty of sleep.
- Meditate and Pray.
- Keep a smile on your face, practice Gratitude, surround yourself with love & positivity, spend time doing things that bring you joy, and laugh lots!!
- Reduce stress in general.
- If you have access to a private sauna–preferably an infrared sauna— use it daily!
- Public saunas (in spas, wellness centers, fitness centers, etc) are a great option but obviously not during any type of contagious health epidemic!
- Watch, read, listen to and ingest positive images, words, thoughts, music, and information.
Stay well and healthy, my friends! And if you have any questions, please let me know.
*These supplement dosages were compiled under the guidance & expertise of Brett Hall, R.D.
*And “for right now” means during the Coronavirus outbreak